Lower drinking age to 18? What do you think?
College presidents from 100 well-known U.S. universities are calling for a discussion about lowering the legal drinking age from 21 to 18. Did you ever think this would be a serious debate?
Schools including Syracuse, Tufts, Duke and Dartmouth universities are among those schools pushing the discussion about this. The pros and cons include:
- -lowering the age will cut back on binge drinking
- -users will drink less because it’s legal
- -users will develop responsible drinking habits before college
- -21 is the highest drinking age in the world
- -18 to 21 year-olds can vote and join the military, but can’t have a beer
- -40% of college kids have at least one symptom of alcoholism or dependence on alcohol
- -over 500,000 alcohol-related injuries each year, and 1,700 deaths
What do you think about this proposal? Should the drinking age be lowered to 18, including those still in high school? Would this have an effect on high school events, football games, proms, driving on campus? Across the nation, laws are tightening on new drivers – should alcohol be thrown into the mix?